Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Naked and the Damned

I like science fiction. More accurately, I like the idea of science fiction. I'm never really happy with what I find. It's geeks, mostly, that write sci-fi and geeks don't understand the relationship between men and women. (Well, neither did Hemingway.)

And they can't write prose for sipping bananas:
The thrumming rhythm of the turgid detectors squinted at half second arcs during the momentary optical shift of the stochastic resonators. Suddenly my sensor buttons detected a quiffburger.
See how the words 'detectors' and 'detected' are used in consecutive sentences?

Or dialog:
"Jeepers Professor, how does it work?"
"Well, Jimmy, it's like a hot tub on spin dry..."
Good dialog would have read:
"Well, Jimmy, it's like a hooker on spin dry..."
See the difference?

Oh, I've read Stranger in a Strange Land, Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Flowers for Algernon and more. I just noticed that I have omitted Philip K Dick and William Gibson and yes, I've read them as well.

 In frustration I decided to write a little sci-fi just to see if I could do it, so I wrote a few short stories. One of the earliest was The Naked and the Damned

Two worlds communicate and exchange genetic sequences. A human constructed on one world, a human-alien hybrid on another. It has a rather abrupt ending. Abruptness is my strong suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment